Longmont, Colorado, located within Boulder County, is a city with
22 square miles, over 300 days of sunshine, and a spectacular view of
the Rocky Mountains. Longmont sits at an elevation of 4,979 feet above
sea level. With over 1500 acres of parks and open space, Longmont is
perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. Longmont is also home to several high
tech companies and a vibrant restaurant scene. It is conveniently located
37 miles from Denver, 16 miles from Boulder, and 30 miles from the
scenic Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Facts about Longmont...
- Longmont named one of the "Best Places to Live" in 2006 and 2008
- Longmont was also awarded "All-America City" in 2006
- According to the Software & Information Industry Association, the Boulder/Longmont area has the highest concentration of software-related jobs in the nation.
- Compared to the other cities in Boulder County, Longmont has the highest number of people who both live and work in the city.
- Astronaut Vance Brand was born in Longmont and graduated from Longmont High School.
- The first store to carry the JC Penney name was located in Longmont.
- An expedition, headed by Major Stephen H. Long, explored the area's St. Vrain River valley in 1820. The word "Longmont" is a combination of his name and "mont" from the French word for mountain.
- The City of Longmont was founded in 1871 by members of the Chicago Colony who settled in the valley.